As a young person under the Children and Families Act 2014, you have more say about your education and your parents get less say. However, your parents or other family members can continue to support you in making decisions, or act on your behalf if you want them to.

You can also get support from your local Information, Advice and Support Service.

You can continue to get help with your special educational needs until you turn 25.

The local authority must:

  • listen to and respect your views, wishes and feelings
  • make sure you’re able to be involved in decisions about your education.

We have prepared some useful resources for young people aged 16-25 with special educational needs and disabilities:

If there is a disagreement between you and your school or college, or with the local authority or health service, you may want to read the young people’s guide to Special Educational Needs and Disability complaints.