CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: Asking for an Education, Health and Care needs assessment (template letter 1)

You can use this letter to request an education, health and care (EHC) needs assessment. Our page about asking for an EHC needs assessment contains information on when you might want to make this request, and how to make it.

Who should I write to?

You should write to the most senior person at your local authority, usually called the Director of Children’s Services. You can find information and contact details for this person on the Association of Directors of Children’s Services website

When will I hear back?

The LA must respond within 6 weeks of receiving your request (except for in  very exceptional circumstances).  

Remember to keep a copy of any letter or email you send. If you don’t get a reply within 6 weeks you can use our template letter to complain. If you need further advice, you can book an appointment to speak with us.