IPSEA is frequently contacted about local authorities (“LAs”) refusing to carry out EHC needs assessments. These are the most common type of appeal. We have created a refusal to assess pack which gives a detailed guide to preparing for and carrying out a refusal to assess appeal.

This type of appeal is considered ‘on the papers’, meaning there is not a hearing which the parties need to attend. You just need to send in all of your evidence and explain your arguments in writing. If you would like a hearing you can still make a request for this in writing, explaining your reasons for wanting the hearing, and this will be considered by a Registrar or Judge.

Refusal to assess pack


If you can’t find the answer to your question, you can book an appointment to speak with us.