Asking for a copy of a child’s school record: Model letter 18

When should I use this letter?

You can use this letter to ask a school for a copy of your child or young person’s school record.

The record includes school reports, SEN support records, EHC plans and appendices, attendance record, disciplinary record and details of any exclusions. It may also include correspondence for example with the local authority or an educational psychologist.

You may want a copy of the child or young person’s school record for any number of reasons, but it may be particularly helpful if you are appealing to the SEND Tribunal and need evidence about the support the school has provided to your child so far. It may also be helpful if you are bringing a disability discrimination claim against the school.

Who can use this letter?

The right to the school record only applies if the child or young person attends, or previously attended, a maintained school (mainstream or special) or a non-maintained special school (if you’re not sure what type of school it is, see our page on the different types of schools).

For these types of schools, they have a duty to provide the record within 15 school days of the parent asking for it.

Who should I write to?

The letter should be sent to the chair of the governing body. If you do not have their details, simply send it to the school but addressed to this person.

What are the alternatives if my child or young person isn’t at a maintained or non-maintained school?

If the child or young person attends an Academy, independent school or FE college, you can request equivalent information from these schools and other organisations, including the LA, under data protection legislation. This is known as a “subject access request”. You can find out more about this via the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

You should also check the school’s data protection or information rights policy in case these say they will provide this information within 15 school days too.  

If your child is 12 years old or over, and able to, we suggest you enclose a note from them confirming that they consent to this information being sent to you.

Remember to keep a copy of any letter you send. If you need further advice, you can book an advice line appointment with IPSEA.