If you are unhappy about the contents of the EHC plan, you can ask your LA to change it so that it complies with the law. You can do this if you have recently received a draft EHC plan, or at an annual review.

If there has been a sudden or unexpected change in circumstances (for example if a child’s needs have become significantly more severe), you could ask for the LA to carry out an early annual review, or a re-assessment of the child or young person’s needs.

If you are still unhappy with the final EHC plan, or if the LA refuse to amend an EHC plan following an annual review or re-assessment, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) (the “SEND Tribunal”).


If you haven’t been able to find the answer to your question on this page or in our EHC plan checklist, our FAQs on EHC needs assessments contain further information about what should be contained in an EHC plan.