Early years settings, schools, colleges and local authorities must make sure that they:

  • do not treat disabled children and young people less well, or badly, because of their disability, and
  • change what they do (or were planning to do) to make sure a disabled child or young person is not disadvantaged. The type of changes they have to make are called reasonable adjustments. What is reasonable for them to do will depend on the facts.

If you feel any of these duties may have been broken, you can make a disability discrimination claim about it in:

  • the SEND Tribunal: if it relates to any type of school or a maintained nursery, or
  • the County Court: if it relates to a private nursery, a further education college or a local authority.

You can find out more about disability discrimination on our website.