Getting health care support

If you require support from the health service (including Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)), the starting point is likely to be a referral from your GP or (in some cases) from your child or young person’s education setting.

The NHS has information online on how to access support for mental health for your child or young person.

You can also access mental health support from:

  • Mind, who provides advice and support to assist anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
  • Young Minds, who can provide advice and support both to parents and directly to children or young people.

Remember too, if your child attends a maintained school, an academy or a pupil referral unit and has a medical condition, the governing body/proprietor must make arrangements to support your child at school.

Statutory guidance explains to schools, parents and carers how this duty should be carried out. You can check this guidance to see if your school is meeting its duties and find out more about this on our website

For more information on this topic, see our main advice page on health and social care.