As a parent, you are responsible for making sure your child is educated, either at school or otherwise. You can choose to home educate your child. This means that you are responsible for giving your child a suitable education. This is called elective home education (EHE).

If your child does not have an education, health and care (EHC) plan, you do not need permission from the school or the local authority (LA) to home educate your child and remove them from school.

If your child does have an EHC plan, you can choose to home educate them but:

  • your LA does not have to provide any special educational provision set out in the EHC plan, and
  • if they currently go to a special school, you will need your LA’s agreement to take your child off the school roll. 

You can find out more about elective home education on our website.