These settings are not controlled by a local authority (LA) or the Secretary of State for Education. These are independent special schools/colleges which have been approved by the Secretary of State under section 41 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

This means that they are settings which a parent or young person can request to be named in an education, health and care (EHC) plan and if so, the LA must name unless one of three limited exceptions apply.  

You can check to see if a school/ college has section 41 status online.