Local authorities (“LAs”) can make payments to parents and carers of pupils with SEN to act as an escort or to use the family car to take the pupil to school. The government guidance – ‘Home to School Travel for Pupils Requiring Special Arrangements’ – says that the LA’s policy should set out when they will do this and the amounts parents are entitled to.

Sometimes there is a space on a vehicle that can be used by a pupil who is not eligible for free home to school transport. LAs can make a charge for spare seats. This should be set out in their policy and explain the circumstances such a seat may be withdrawn if required for pupils who are eligible for free transport.