LEVEL 1 / ELEMENTARY ONLINE LEARNING
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This modular online course looks in detail at the scope of special educational needs and disability (SEND) law. It is more in-depth than the Foundation Level and covers additional material. It is aimed at professionals supporting and advising parents or parents themselves who wish to gain a greater knowledge.
- The course is in 10 sequential modules
- All modules must be undertaken to complete the course
- The pass mark is 75%, on successful completion you will receive a certificate which details your proficiency in each module
- Learners do not get an index of wrong or right answers. If you score lower in particular modules you can refer to the resources to refresh your learning
- If you fail the pass mark you are given one more opportunity to complete the course.
By the end of the modules we would expect participants to have a sound understanding of the areas of law covered and be able to use that knowledge to obtain an EHC plan for their child or to advise and support a parent to do so. Participants should also be able to understand issues involved in challenging an exclusion from school or disability discrimination involving a school. The modules covered in this online course are:
- Children and Young People with SEND: the legal framework
- The Duties on Local Authorities, Schools and FE Institutions
- EHC Needs Assessments
- EHC Plans, Personal Budgets and Direct Payments
- Naming a School or FE Institution
- Changing Plans
- Rights of Appeal to SEND and Mediation
- Disability Discrimination (Introduction to the Equality Act 2010)
- Education Act 1996
This online learning is suitable as a stand-alone course of study, but is also designed to complement our Level 1 / Elementary Training Day. Combining the training in this way will offer participants an opportunity to fully consolidate their learningand to deal with individual queries on the course content.
This course aimed at professionals advising and supporting parents and carers of children and young people with SEND including: Teachers, School Governors, SENCOs, Learning Support Assistants and advisory professionals although it would also be suitable for parents who have completed the Foundation Level online learning and wished to increase their knowledge of this area of law. It is not necessary to have prior knowledge of SEN law in order to take this online course.
COURSE DELIVERY & COST
This is an online course. Each module takes approximately three hours to complete and you have six months to complete the course. The course costs:
- £350 for individuals local parent groups and charities with an income of less than £200k
- £500 for schools and charities with an income over £200k
- £700 for private and public sector organisations independent consultants
Payment is made through invoice.
If you are purchasing this course in bulk, discounts may apply.
Up to 10 people
Local Parent Groups/Charities under £200k
Charities over £200k
WHY CHOOSE IPSEA
IPSEA are experts in the field of special educational needs and disability (SEND) law. We have been providing advice and advocacy to parents for over 30 years; from the first stages of advice right through to tribunal and higher level appeals. We are involved in over 5000 consultations a year and support over 400 appeals to Tribunal. Unlike solicitors or barristers we see the breadth and depth of all legal issues and take on cases from beginning to end. Many of our staff are legally trained and some of our courses are accredited with the Bar Standards Board. We pride ourselves on the level of expertise we offer; even barristers undertake our training. We are in a unique position having the history, scope and knowledge in our field.
HOW TO BOOK
Please complete our online training request form.
OTHER COURSES AVAILABLE
- Level 1 / Elementary Training Day - an introductory level face-to-face course aimed at professionals who support and advise parents. This is a stand-alone course but is designed to be delivered to complement the Level 1 / Elementary online learning.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Training Day - a more in-depth course aimed at professionals who have already undertaken the Level 1 / Elementary training (online or face-to-face), delivered at your venue.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Level online learning - designed to complement the Level 2 face-to-face Training Day.
- Foundation Level SEND Law training Day - a one day face-to-face course delivered during school hours to groups of parents at your venue. This training can also be delivered to ‘mixed’ groups composed of parents, those advising parents and others, such as LA staff.
- Foundation Level online learning – entry level training aimed at parents or anyone who wished to gain a basic understanding of SEND law. This would also complement the parent training course and allows participants to study in their own time to learn more about the topics covered during that face-to-face course.
- Tribunal Training Day - a course aimed specifically at those advising or supporting parents covering all aspects of bringing appeals to the SEND tribunal, delivered at your venue.