Foundation Level SEND Law Online Course
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This is an online course designed as an introduction to special educational needs and disability (SEND) law as it applies in England.
- The course is in 10 sequential modules
- All modules must be undertaken to complete the course
- The pass mark is 75% - on successful completion you will receive a certificate which details your proficiency in each module
- Learners do not get an index of wrong or right answers. If you score lower in particular modules you can refer to the resources to refresh your learning
- If you fail the pass mark you are given one more opportunity to complete the course.
By the end of the modules you will have an understanding of the following areas of law:
- The SEN legal framework
- The duties on local authorities
- The duties on schools and further education institutions
- EHC needs assessments
- EHC plans
- Naming a school or FE institution in an EHC plan
- Personal budgets and direct payments
- Changing plans (annual review, transfer/ceasing to maintain an EHC plan)
- Mediation and the SEND tribunal
- Education Act 1996 (parts remaining relevant during the transition period)
This course is for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) but would also be suitable for anyone who wished to gain a basic understanding of this area of law. You do not need any knowledge of SEND Law in order to take this course.
COURSE DELIVERY & COST
This is an online course. Each module takes approximately two hours to complete and you have six months to complete the course. The course costs £79 (booked online individual parents only)£150 charities under £200k, £200 charities over £200k, £300 public/private sector and independent consultants.
WHY CHOOSE IPSEA
IPSEA are experts in the field of special educational needs and disability (SEND) law. We have been providing advice and advocacy to parents for over 30 years; from the first stages of advice right through to tribunal and higher level appeals. We are involved in over 5000 consultations a year and support over 400 appeals to Tribunal. Unlike solicitors or barristers we see the breadth and depth of all legal issues and take on cases from beginning to end. Many of our staff are legally trained and some of our courses are accredited with the Bar Standards Board. We pride ourselves on the level of expertise we offer; even barristers undertake our training. We are in a unique position having the history, scope and knowledge in our field.
HOW TO BOOK
Please book and pay for this course online, unless you need an invoice raised in which case please complete our online training request form.
OTHER COURSES AVAILABLE
- Foundation Level SEND Law Training Day - a one day face-to-face course delivered during school hours to groups of parents at your venue. This training can also be delivered to ‘mixed’ groups composed of parents, those advising parents and others, such as LA staff.
- Level 1 / Elementary Training Day - an introductory level face-to-face course aimed at professionals who support and advise parents.
- Level 1 / Elementary Level online learning - designed to complement the Level 1 face-to-face training, this covers the same topics in far more detail and depth. Ideal for professionals supporting and advising parents or parents who want more knowledge.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Training Day - a more in-depth course aimed at professionals who have already undertaken the Level 1 / Elementary training (online or face-to-face), delivered at your venue.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Level online learning - designed to complement the Level 2 face-to-face Training Day.
- Tribunal Training Day - a course aimed specifically at those advising or supporting parents covering all aspects of bringing appeals to the SEND tribunal, delivered at your venue.