Foundation One Day SEND Law
Face to Face Course: at your venue
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This one day introductory level course is aimed specifically at parents and aims to provide them with an overview of the law relating to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (“SEN”). The course will provide information on the law, guidance, policy and practice and but also aims to show parents how they can begin to use the law to gain support for their child with SEN.
The course relates to the law as it applies in England
This is a condensed one day course specifically tailored to parent groups and is delivered during school friendly hours.
By the end of the modules you will have an understanding of the following areas of law:
- The law on SEN – where to find it and some key legal definitions
- Duties of schools towards children with SEN
- The Local Offer
- The process towards obtaining an EHC plan, including EHC needs assessments
- What should an EHC plan contain?
- Naming a school in an EHC plan
- Transition to an EHC plan for children with a statement
This course has been devised and is delivered specifically for parents. Our aim is to equip you with the necessary knowledge and understanding of the law so you can understand your rights and the key legal definitions and issues you are likely to encounter as a parent of a child with SEND. This training can also be delivered to ‘mixed’ groups composed of parents, those advising parents and others, such as LA staff.
COURSE DELIVERY & COST
This is a face to face course delivered at your venue. The course costs:
- £1,200 for local parent groups and charities with an income of less than £200k
- £1,900 for schools and charities with an income over £200k
- £2,500 for private and public sector organisations
In an average group of 25 this works out at £ 48, £60, £68 per head. Additional charges may apply for groups large groups. Payment is made through invoice.
WHY CHOOSE IPSEA
IPSEA are experts in the field of special educational needs and disability (SEND) law. We have been providing advice and advocacy to parents for over 30 years; from the first stages of advice right through to tribunal and higher level appeals. We are involved in over 5000 consultations a year and support over 400 appeals to Tribunal. Unlike solicitors or barristers we see the breadth and depth of all legal issues and take on cases from beginning to end. Many of our staff are legally trained and some of our courses are accredited with the Bar Standards Board. We pride ourselves on the level of expertise we offer; even barristers undertake our training. We are in a unique position having the history, scope and knowledge in our field.
HOW TO BOOK
Please complete our online training request form.
OTHER COURSES AVAILABLE
- Foundation Level online learning – entry level training aimed at parents or anyone who wished to gain a basic understanding of SEND law. This would also complement the parent training course and allows participants to study in their own time to learn more about the topics covered during that face-to-face course.
- Level 1 / Elementary Training Day - an introductory level face-to-face course aimed at professionals who support and advise parents.
- Level 1 / Elementary Level online learning - designed to complement the Level 1 face-to-face training, this covers the same topics in far more detail and depth. Ideal for professionals supporting and advising parents or parents who want more knowledge.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Training Day - a more in-depth course aimed at professionals who have already undertaken the Level 1 / Elementary training (online or face-to-face), delivered at your venue.
- Level 2 / Intermediate Level online learning - designed to complement the Level 2 face-to-face Training Day.
- Tribunal Training Day - a course aimed specifically at those advising or supporting parents covering all aspects of bringing appeals to the SEND tribunal, delivered at your venue.