What makes IPSEA unique?
1. IPSEA = Independent Parental Special Education Advice. In order to maintain our independence we do not accept any government or statutory funding towards the running of our core services. We also limit the amount of funding that we receive from any one source. All our services are provided free of charge. We need donations in order to get the right educational support for children and young people. Please support us by clicking here.
2. Who does IPSEA support? IPSEA benefits all children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities across the whole of England and Wales. We use the evidence that we gather to improve policy. See an example of our policy work here.
3. What services does IPSEA provide? IPSEA provides free and independent online resources to help resolve common issues with getting the right educational support for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities. We also run an Information Service, 2 helplines and a unique SEND Tribunal Support service.
4. Who gives IPSEA's free and independent advice? Our helplines and tribunal support are completely volunteer-based. You can read about our volunteers here.
5. IPSEA has seventeen support sheets to help with something that many children with SEND experience - what is this? Children with SEN and/or disabilities are much more likely to be excluded from school than their class mates. We have created a range of free legally based resources to help families understand this complex issue and to try and reduce the number of illegal exclusions.
6. Roughly how many children in English schools have special educational needs? Approximately 1.5 million children in English schools have some kind of special educational need. IPSEA exists to make sure that they ALL receive the education to which they are legally entitled. Many of our volunteers, staff and trustees have children or family members with special educational needs and/or a disability. IPSEA has a unique blend of first-hand experience, specialist legal knowledge and casework evidence. We use this to challenge Local and National Goverment in order to fulfill our aims. We also deliver training to equip and empower families (and those who support them with legal knowledge).
There is no other organisation in England providing the range of free and independent legally based services offered by IPSEA.