Appealing against the school or college named in an EHC plan 09/03/2018 06:44

At this time of year, local authorities throughout the country are finalising EHC plans in advance of children and young people’s transition from one phase of education to another – for example from primary to secondary school, or secondary school to further education. IPSEA is frequently asked what parents can do if they’re not happy with the school the local authority has named in the EHC plan.

In most cases, a local authority must name the school the parent or young person has requested unless they can show it is unsuitable, incompatible with the efficient education of others, or incompatible with the efficient use of resources. If they have not named the school or college requested you may be able to challenge their decision.

We have designed a factsheet, ‘Appealing the school named in an EHC plan’, which sets out:

  • Which schools or colleges parents or young people have a right to request, and the reasons a local authority is allowed to refuse
  • The right to a mainstream setting
  • How to request an independent placement
  • Why you should also consider appealing Sections B and F of the EHC plan
  • How to submit your appeal, and what evidence you should provide to the Tribunal in support of your appeal.

If you need further advice, you can contact us

IPSEA mailing list

Click here to join our mailing list so that we can send you relevant updates and information.

IPSEA training

IPSEA provides a wide range of SEN training for Parents, School Staff, Parent Forums, Support Groups, Local Authority SEN teams, Parent Partnership Schemes, School Governors and other groups / organisations. Click here for details.

Advice Line

This provides next step advice on: problems with schools, requesting statutory assessment, statements and Education, Health and Care Plans, annual reviews, disability discrimination and exclusion. Please click here to book an appointment to get one of our advisers to call you back.

Tribunal Helpline

Our Tribunal Helpline Gives next step advice on SEN appeals and disability discrimination claims to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. When you call we will also assess whether you need casework support. Please click here to book an appointment to get one of our advisers to call you back.

Information Service

The Information Service is for general legal enquiries and will signpost you to factsheets and resources on our website.  The Information Service cannot provide specific advice about individuals and their circumstances.

Face to Face Advice

IPSEA is now able to offer free and independent legally based SEN advice at Face to Face sessions organised in conjunction with the Pen Green Centre for children and families (

For information on how to book a session please click here.