What you need to know

When you are in discussion with any teacher, school, professional or Local Authority about the support a child may need in order to access an appropriate education, it is important to make sure that you receive independent advice and information based on the law.

Whilst many Local Authority policies on Special Educational Needs comply with the rights that the law contains for children, some do not. If you are told “this is what we do in X Local Authority,” please check that they are following the law.

You can do this by reading and downloading the resources you find in this section of the website and sharing them with those that you are in discussions with.

One of the most important things that you can refer to is a copy of the “Special Educational Needs Code of Practice”. This is easy to read and contains law as well as guidance on how and when a child will need additional support.It can be downloaded here;.